2023 Annual Conference
2023 Annual Conference
October 9 - 13, 2023
Celebrating our 40th Anniversary
1983 - 2023
300 South Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Montgomery County PD Crime Lab - (MD)
Roswell PD CSU - (GA)
View/Download PDF: 2023 IABPA Conference Schedule
Updated: September 1, 2023
Call for Presentations:
If you have an interesting case, BPA research or a related topic that you would like to present, follow the link below for requirements and instructions for submitting an abstract. Abstracts will be sent by email to Jenn Karschner
More info.... Call for Presentations
Forensic science evidence is very important in legal proceedings. It plays a critical –and growing– role in convicting the guilty and exonerating the innocent. For many decades much of the forensic evidence has been generally accepted as impartial, objective and even ‘infallible’. The last 15 years or so, however, have seen major new insights and discoveries about the true nature and limitations of forensic science evidence. When it comes to Bloodstain Pattern Analysis (BPA), the issues are magnified, mainly because BPA conclusions are often about activities rather than source, and BPA often depends and relies on contextual information. This Keynote will examine the reliability, validity, error rate, and bias in BPA, and speculate about the future of BPA.
Itiel Dror (Ph.D. Harvard) is a cognitive neuroscientist who is interested in the cognitive architecture that underpins expert decision making. Dror's research, published in over 150 research articles, cited over 10,000 times (source: Google Scholar), demonstrates human vulnerabilities in expert judgments and decision making. He has worked in a variety of domains, from policing and aviation, to medical experts and bankers, showing that human factors impact even hard working, dedicated and competent experts. Specifically, in the forensic science domain he has focused attention and highlighted the role of the human experts in forensic decision making, and how cognitive factors can distort observations and conclusions. Dr. Dror has worked with and trained many forensic examiners in various agencies across the globe on how to minimize errors and enhance forensic decision making. More information is at: http://www.cci-hq.com
- MEMBERS (in Person) - $450 USD
- NON-MEMBERS (in Person) - $500 USD
- STUDENTS (in Person) - $350 USD
- VENDORS/EXHIBITORS - $1000.00
- (For more information regarding vendor and/or sponsorship opportunities, please contact Jenn Karschner)
- Banquet Guest Dinner Ticket - $50 USD
- Registration includes banquet dinner ticket for all registered attendees.
- To purchase a Banquet Guest Dinner Ticket separately, click HERE or go to our online store located under the Membership tab.
Please contact us for more detailed pricing information
- Includes Vendor/Exhibitor package benefits, plus your company name listed as a sponsor in the conference program and a 1/4 page advertisement in the program.
- Includes Vendor/Exhibitor package benefits, plus your company name and logo listed as a sponsor in the conference program, a 1/2 page advertisement in the program, and name recognition by the conference master of ceremonies prior to one of the speaking sessions.
- Includes Vendor/Exhibitor package benefits, plus your company name listed as a sponsor in the conference program and a FULL 1/2 page advertisement in the program.
Special Sponsorships opportunities are also available. More info...
Our initial block of rooms has been filled. In response, the hotel has allotted additional rooms and extended the special rate for us.
Use this link for Hotel conference rate discount : Sheraton Hotel - IABPA 2023
Standard Room Rates: USD$137.00*
Cut-off date for reservation discount: September 15, 2023
* Not including taxes/fees.
If you cancel more than 72 hours prior to arrival, there will be no forfeiture amount. Cancelations after 6:00pm, within 72 hours prior to arrival will incur a charge for 1 night stay on your credit card.
>>> BWI Airport
Directions to hotel:
Gold Level Sponsors
Silver Level Sponsors
Bronze Level Sponsors
Raffle Prize Contributors